Ruffles are feminine and truly romantic. No matter where they appear ruffles change the look in no time, make it softer and more delicate. And that – softness and delicateness – are what we miss nowadays when emphasis is made on sex and everything related to it. Women tend to show more or wear screaming aggressive colors. This summer designers want us to be different, be more traditional and classic. And ruffles in combination with trendy pastel colors seem to be perfect for this purpose.
Ruffles of the Spring/ Summer 2012 season are very diverse. There are no limitations in size or volume and they are used everywhere. They decorate dresses, trousers, tops, skirts, swimwear, bags and even shoes making those look fresh and flirty.
Ruffles On The Runway
Some designers, like Preen, decided to use ruffles as a lovely detail, so they added them to collars, sleeves, hems and waists (peplums, another hot Spring/ Summer 2012 trend).
Others wanted to focus attention on ruffles and created dresses inspired by flamenco dancing, like Missoni. (See Missoni Spring/ Summer 2012 collection)
Oscar de la Renta played with ruffles a lot creating different beautiful but classy combinations. The result is amazing! (See Oscar de la Renta Spring/ Summer 2012 collection)
John Galliano collection featured dresses with ruffles strategically placed at areas which a modest woman would cover.
Moschino’s spring looks were girlie and summery.
Marchesa ruffles were sophisticated and luxurious – ideal for the red carpet.
Alexander McQueen brand went to the extreme with ruffles. They didn’t work as details, they made the outfits of the collection.
How to wear ruffles for spring
- Ruffles tend to focus attention on them, which means they are great for creating illusions. Wear ruffles at areas you feel proud of, this way you will detract attention from your problem areas. Ruffles add volume, so if you have a small bust or narrow hips wear ruffles at these places.
- Ruffles are usually the accent of an outfit. So when you choose to wear them make sure you don’t overdo with your look.
- Merge ruffles with other spring trends: pastel colors, sheerness (use ruffles to cover your modesty), etc.
- Don’t stick to simple looks with ruffles. Experiment and go for outfits which will make you stand out.
- оборки из брюгского кружева от оскара де ла рента